"Pedal. Play. Purpose."…who doesn't like a sense of balance in their lives…VIC² is here to help maintain that balance in yours!
As a VIC² member your benefits include:
- A structure supporting your desire for increased health and wellness (see more in the "Pedal Benefit" section).
- Social activities for members and families (see more under the "Play Benefit" section).
- Meaningful community engagement (see more in the "Purpose Benefit" section).
- Organized training rides of varying difficulty, easily accessible through the VIC² website calendar.
- Themed rides such as coffee rides, progressive dinners, ladies only, and member hosted.
- Learn from other members, as well as clinics and guest speakers on cycling related topics such as bike maintenance, safety, nutrition, and techniques.
- Share your knowledge and experience with others in the club, as well as the community at large.
- Being able to sport the annual Village Idiot Cycling Club collector's jersey.
- Opportunity to participate in regional and long weekend cycling excursions.
- Member of large bicycling advocacy organizations such as The League of American Bicyclists and Bicycle Colorado.
The structure of VIC² provides the organization and planning to help you stay on top of your cycling health goals.
Cycling is a great way to exercise for health, as its low impact nature is easy on your body. You can ride a bicycle almost anywhere, and with the proper attire, at almost any time of the year. Once you learn the basics, it doesn't require a lot of additional skill to be proficient.
Member "Pedal Benefits" include:
- Considering the relatively low time investment, cycling provides great health rewards. You will build strength and muscle tone throughout your body, your stamina will increase as your body embraces your cycling routine, and your attitude and mental acuity will improve.
- Getting on your bike will increase you cardio-vascular fitness, as cycling naturally has varied terrain which acts as built-in interval training. You will have periods where you are pushing yourself to the limit, and periods where you are able to recover and prepare for the next push. According to the British Medical Association, a major study showed that cycling just 20 miles a week can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by 50%.
- Getting out on your bike on a regular basis is a great way to lose those unwanted pounds, or simply keep up with your love of fabulous food! Cycling at a steady pace burns 300 calories or more per hour…hey that is close to 11 pounds of fat in a year. Also, since it helps build muscle, you will boost your metabolic rate long after you’ve finished your ride - so that morning ride will provide benefit all day long!
- And lest you think cycling just brings you closer to that perfect body, in a recent study in the Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, scientists found that people scored higher on tests of memory, reasoning, and planning after 30 minutes of cycling than they did before they rode. They also completed the tests faster after pedaling. Who knows, if you ride enough with the Idiots, you may work your way out of that moniker!
- Lastly, regular cycling can reduce stress and depression, and improve overall well-being and self-esteem. Much of this has to do with mood enhancing chemicals that are released such as serotonin, dopamine, endorphins, and cannabinoids (after all, we do live in Colorado ).
There is nothing quite like the pure joy of cruising along under your own power, the wind washing away your cares, soaking in the sights, sounds, and smells of the world around you!
Socializing with like minded members of our community is a huge part of our reason for being.
Member "Play Benefits" include:
- Annual early season membership meeting to catch up after the off season.
- Member directory to quickly connect.
- Connect with old friends and make new ones before, during and after rides and other planned events.
- Annual VIC² Bike Bash! festival to involve the community in celebrating cycling, teach children about safe cycling, learn about local charity partners, eat and drink, and enjoy each others' company.
- Connect with old friends and make new ones during planned club volunteer days in our community.
- Ad-hoc happy hour and coffee meet-ups.
- Exploring new places together on our annual long weekend bike trip.
- Member-only end of year party to celebrate the season.
As prospective members, and current members of VIC², we are truly fortunate beyond measure. The reality is that there are members of our community who are far less fortunate, and struggling to get by.
Member "Purpose Benefits" include:
- Organized structure for giving back to the community, both financially and through volunteerism.
- A tax-deductible donation to a screened local charity as part of your membership, as well as opportunities to make additional donations through the website or at club events.
- A variety of individual and club volunteer opportunities throughout the year to suit all skills and abilities.
- Participate in events targeting support for designated charities.